The content of this website is the copyright of World Nexus Publications © 2008-2011
Echo radar recorded by an F-16 during the night of 30/31 March 1990 During the evening of 29 November 1989, in a small area of Eastern Belgium, approximately 140 UFO sightings were reported in an eight hour period. Hundreds of people witnessed a majestic triangular craft spanning approximately 120 feet, with three very powerful beaming spot lights on its underside, it moved very slowly barely making a sound, and several times, that eventually accelerated away at a very high speed. Over the following days and months, many more sightings followed, with a wave that nearly lasted the entire year. Although Belgium had no official focal point for reporting UFO observations, they were quite successful in organizing and document the wave that took Belgium by storm and conducted well over 650 investigations and recorded more than 400 hours of audio witness reports during that year. One witness was even able to snap off the very best photograph ever taken of the triangular UFO and wished to remain anonymous, during the Belgium UFO storm in April of 1990. The photograph revealed not only a distinct triangular outline of the craft, but showed four light beams eliminating from the objects underside. This photograph has become one of the mos recognized photographs by anyone familiar with UFOs, and became the cornerstone of the Belgian UFO wave of 1989. A case that still baffles investigators today. From the very first night of sightings it began to become the most witnessed and best documented European UFO wave ever. The most notable sightings of the during the wave came on the evening of 30 March 1990, and reported by a Belgian National Police captain, who watched the giant triangular UFO pass overhead, prompting two F-16 fighter jets to take chase the unknown flying crafts, without success, yet two separate radar stations corroborated the sighting. Before any interception order was given, a consultation with NATO partners confirmed that no flights of type of stealth aircraft or other experimental aircraft was taking place in Belgium airspace, nor, it was confirmed by Civil Aviation Authorities that no flight plans had been or were going to be planned by NATO. This fact alone implied that the reported object(s) had committed an infraction against existing aviation regulations. After the Belgian Air Force tried to identify the alleged intruder(s) by radio communications on three occasions, it was decided to launch the F-16 aircraft. On one occasion, two of the F-16 registered several rapid changes of speed by the object(s) in question and altitude changes were made that were well outside of the performance envelope of any known existing aircraft. Nevertheless, the pilots could not establish visual contact, which had been impeded by specific weather conditions over Belgium causing electromagnetic disturbances that interfered with the F- 6s radar screens, providing false information. Yet the technical evidence introduced was inconclusive, as to how, or what caused the anomaly that affected the radar lock during the chase. Nor could the Belgian Air Force could not identify the nature, origin or intentions of the reported phenomena. One of the two F-16s that had been scrambled by the Belgian military in an attempt to intercept the unidentified flying object, was able though to lock onto the object, and appeared as a diamond shape on the fighter jet’s radar screen. Seconds after the lock was established, the UFO quickly moved out of the plane's radar range. The F-16 went after the UFO, but after a chase that lasted an hour, the UFO escaped unidentified, except for two more radar returns.
The UFO triangle had been moving slow and low over the rolling hills of Belgium near the City of Glons, just southeast of Brussels. When a NATO manned radar station first reported the object on their radar, which was soon followed by four more stations stating they had picked up radar returns as well from the unidentified object. The flying object would not answer hails to identify itself, and sent no transponder signal. Jets would be sent to find the object. It quickly became apparent during the chase by the The F-16 pilots chasing the object, that whatever it was it was far beyond our technology. Something with that speed and maneuverability was obviously far beyond the capabilities of their state-of-the-art jets. At one point, the radar returns displayed that the UFO had dropped from a 10,000 foot altitude to only 500 feet, in just 5 seconds, an unbelievable move. The sightings of these giant triangles continued for nearly a year, and were witnessed over and over again by many of the same witnesses, who stated they often flew low enough to easily be seen with the naked eye. The sighting wave became a big story in the Belgian media, and it became apparent that getting a photograph of the UFOs was almost impossible... many witnesses snapped photos of the triangles, only to see blurred imagery. This unusual occurrence was investigated by physics professor Auguste Meesen, who discovered that infrared light was not allowing the objects to be photographed. Cumulating with one really good video recording of the object taken from a digital video camera that used infrared technology over the township of Petit Rechain. That image revealed the bottom of the triangular shape had three distinct red spotlights on each corner of the triangle, that was revealed only during a freeze frame inspection of the video. The UFO wave itself peaked with the events of the night of 30/31 March 1990, after the unknown objects had been tracked on ground radar, photographed, and were sighted by an estimated 13,500 people on the ground – 2,600 of whom filed written statements describing in detail what they had experienced. Eventually the Belgian air force released a their report detailing the events of that night to the public...stating: At around 23:00 on 30 March the supervisor for the Control Reporting Center (CRC) at Glons received reports that three unusual lights were seen moving towards Thorembais-Gembloux, just southeast of Brussels. The lights were reported to be brighter than the night stars, changing color between red, green and yellow, and appeared to be fixed at the vortices of an equilateral triangle. At this point Glons CRC requested the Wavre gendarmerie send up interceptors to confirm the sighting. Approximately 10 minutes later a second set of lights was sighted moving towards the first triangle. By 23:30 the Wavre gendarmerie had confirmed the initial sightings and the Glons CRC had been able to observe the phenomenon on ground radar. During this period a second set of lights, after some erratic maneuvers, had also formed into the familiar, but smaller triangular shape. After tracking the targets and receiving a second radar confirmation from the Air Traffic Control Control Center at Semmerzake, The Glons CRC gave the order to scramble two F-16 fighters from Beauvechain Air Base shortly before midnight. Throughout this time the phenomenon was still clearly visible from the ground, with witnesses describing the whole formation as maintaining their relative positions while moving slowly across the sky. Witnesses also reported two dimmer lights towards the municipality of Eghezee displaying similar erratic movements to the second set of lights. Over the next hour the two scrambled F-16s attempted nine separate interceptions of the targets. On three more occasions they managed to obtain a radar lock for only a few seconds but each time the targets changed position and such a rapid speed that the lock was broken. During the first radar lock, the target accelerated from 240 km/h to well over 1,770 km/h in several seconds while changing altitude from 2,700 meters to 1,500 meters, then up to 3,350 meters before descending to nearly ground level at 750 meters – the first descent of more than 900 meters taking less than two seconds. Similar maneuvers were observed during both subsequent radar locks, and on no occasion were the F-16 pilots able to make visual contact with the object targets, nor despite the rapid high speeds involved, was there any indication of a sonic boom. It is important to add though that such a sudden change in acceleration and deceleration would have been fatal to a human pilots. During this time, ground many witnesses were corroborating the information obtained by the ground radar. They described having seen the smaller triangle completely disappear from sight at one point, while the larger triangle moved upward quite rapidly as the F-16s flew past them. Then after 00:30 radar contact became sporadic, with the final confirmed lock taking place at 00:40, which was also broken by an acceleration maneuver by the objects from approximately 160 km/h to well over 1,120 km/h after which all radar systems, the F-16s and the Glons and Semmerzake control centers lost all contact with the objects. Unable to confirmed further contact, the F-16s eventually returned to base shortly after 01:00. The Belgium wave has obtained classic status in UFO lore and one that will be studied by UFOlogists for many years to come. With over 1,000 witnesses, confirmed radar sightings, plane radar locks, and military ground confirmations, the fact that an some type of unknown craft moved across the country of Belgium cannot be denied. The case is also important for its unique information gathering with both the civilian population and military officials being forthcoming with sharing their reports. Hopefully this will set a model for others to follow in their pursuit to uncover the mystery behind the UFO enigma over Belgium. Wilfried De Brouwer General Major Aviateur Belgium Air Force The best photograph taken, and nearly the only one of clarity, for such a large number of strange is that? An artist rendition taken from the various reports gathered by thousands of witnesses. 2 pages of U.S. Defense Department documents describing UFO events in Belgium from 1989 to 1990. CLICK to ENLARGE