The content of this website is the copyright of World Nexus Publications © 2008-2011
The Fantastic Flight Of JAL 1628 Click Here for more detailed information on the events of 17 November 1986. On 17 November 1986, a Japanese crew piloting a Japanese Airline Cargo freighter aircraft witnessed three unidentified flying objects during their flight over eastern Alaska This sighting garnered international media attention when the FAA (Federal Aviation Administration) announced that it had launched an official investigation regarding this particular sighting. A procedure required by United States government regulations whenever an Air Route Traffic Control Center, in this case Anchorage, Alaska, reports any unusual UFO activity detected by ground radar. Captain Kenju Terauchi, who was later featured on numerous media programs, as well as a cover story for People Magazine was grounded within a few months of these events, apparently for his indiscretion in reporting a UFO to the media. Regardless of the fact that Capt Terauchi that he was a well respected senior captain with JAL and had an excellent flying record and had been an ex-fighter pilot with more than 10,000 hours flight of experience during his long career. He was finally reinstated several years later. Because it was also determined that Captain Terauci had followed proper procedure in filing an official inquiry with the FAA, especially since the UFOs in question, had also been tracked by both ground and air radar, witnessed by experienced airline pilots, and confirmed by the FAA Alaska Division Chief in charge of investigating the case. Once over Alaska, the flight team engaged auto-pilot, a normal procedure, which established cruising speed at 600 mph (970 km/h) at an altitude of 35,000 ft (11,000 m). This occurred 5:09 PM. Shortly after which, the Anchorage Air Traffic Control (ATC) wet them on a new heading toward Talkeetna, Alaska, due north of Anchorage. As soon as JAL 1628 flight it course and came out of the turn, at 17:11 PM, Captain Terauchi noticed two strange craft to his far port side (left) of the aircraft at approximately 2,000 ft (610 m) below his present altitude. Assuming they were American military aircraft that often patrolled the skies over Alaska, he realized there were actually dogging his flight path. At approximately 5:18 PM the two objects abruptly veered to a position between 500 ft (150 m) or 1,000 ft (300 m) directly in the path of his aircraft, in a stacked configuration. After they positioned themselves, they appeared to activate "a kind of reverse thrust, and [their] lights became dazzlingly bright," matching our speed, and off to the side. The objects displayed what Terauchi described as a total disregard for inertia, violating the known laws of physics.” "The thing was flying as if there was no such thing as gravity. It sped up, then stopped, then flew at our speed, in our direction, so that to us it [appeared to be] we were standing still. The next instant it changed course. ... In other words, the flying object had overcome gravity." As it ‘reversed thrust’ flooding the pilots once again with a bright flare of light between 3 to 7 seconds. Of which, Captain Terauchi explained he could feel a warmth from the glows they emanated. At  5:19:15 PM, the captain notified Air Traffic Control, who could not confirm any unusual traffic at their position. Approximately 3 to 5 minutes after contacting the ATC, the objects assumed and maintained a side-by-side configuration for another 10 minutes, in a strange a rocking motion, with some back and forth rotation of what looked somewhat like the jet nozzles that seemed to be under some kind of automatic control that caused them to flare from a bright to dull luminosity. Captain Terauchi speculated from his drawings of the craft, that each object had a rectangular shape consisting of two arrays appearing to be glowing thruster type nozzles, separated by a dark central section. The objects, when viewed from another angle even appeared cylindrical, and noticed a cylindrical rotating movement of the nozzles. The objects then left abruptly moved to a point far out on the eastern horizon at around 5:23:13 PM.
The FAA had kept a great deal of data on the incident including all the positional radar data, an actual video recording of the radar screen, and all the audio records from both calls to the military base, including the conversations with Captain Kenju Terauchi, the pilot of flight 1628 (recorded as the event transpired). The FAA investigator assigned to the case, John Callahan, investigated the incident in depth and put on a ‘dog and pony show’ for a small group representatives from several  branches of the US Government, and handed over all copies of the data collect to the appropriate officials. What slipped passed those official’s knowledge, was that Mr. Callahan had all the original documents in a box under his desk, and there they sat for several years, available to anyone interested in the case. It should be understood, that John Callahan remains truthful and willing to cooperate in any way with any inquiries on the subject of JAL flight 1628. “As the Division Manager for the FAA Washington headquarters Accidents, Evaluation and Investigations, I was responsible for the quality of air traffic service provided to the FAA users.” Mr. Callahan states. “When informed of the ‘UFO incident involving a Japanese B747 in the Alaskan region’ I ordered the RADAR recorded data and voice tapes flown to the FAA Technical Center in Atlantic City, New Jersey for evaluation and analysis by both FAA Hardware and Software experts. After reviewing the play back of the event on a controller’s scope, referred to as a ‘PVD’ and receiving a detailed analysis of the incident, I briefed the FAA Administrator and members of President Reagan’s scientific staff, CIA, etc. on the following information: During the play back of the event I observed a primary radar target in the position reported by the Japanese pilot. The intermittent primary target stayed in close proximately to the B747 for approximately 31 minutes. Both the FAA controller and military NORAD controller reported observing the RADAR return of the ‘UFO’ target on their ‘scopes.’ There was no noticeable ‘weather’ in the area. ‘You can see into next Tuesday’ was reported by a United pilot. The UFO was painted as an extremely large primary target. As a result of the lacking run length identification the FAA computer system treated the UFO RADAR return as ‘weather’ and transmitted it to the controller’s PVD via a non recorded line. (All known aircraft are programed in the FAA computer systems ‘Run Length’ table.) At the conclusion of the hand-off briefing the CIA advised they were ‘confiscating all the data, this event never happened, we were never here and you are all sworn to secrecy.’ They also advised they would not notify the media as it would only ‘scare’ the public.” John Callahan Federal Aviation Administration Retired Recreation of the series of events that happened to Japanese Airlines flight 1628. Transcript of events from the original investigation, conducted by the Alaskan team of the FAA. CLICK to ENLARGE. On 5 January 1987 the United States The Federal Aviation Administration released this press update: The Federal Aviation Administration has stepped up its investigation of wavering lights that a pilot of a Japan Air Lines cargo jet said followed his plane over Alaska for nearly an hour in November, an official said today. ''We're looking at it to insure that somebody didn't violate airspace we control,'' said Paul Steucke, a spokesman for the aviation agency. ''We looked at it about six weeks ago but since then we've gotten a lot of public interest, so we went back and reinterviewed the pilot.'' The pilot, Kenji Terauchi, told investigators that two of the lights were small, perhaps no larger than eight feet across. He said the third light, which was larger, appeared to be on an aircraft, Mr. Steucke said. Mr. Terauchi said the unidentified objects showed up on the plane's weather radar. But images on military radar screens at the time were dismissed as clutter, and an object that showed up on the aviation agency's screens was thought to be a coincidental split image of the aircraft, Mr. Steucke said. “Tapes will be analyzed.” Radar tapes, transcribed interviews and radio messages are to be sent to the agency in Washington later this week for review, according to Mr. Steucke. A spokesman for Japan Air Lines also said today that Mr. Terauchi was on a flight to Europe and was unavailable to comment further about the incident. However he had stated that Flight 1628 left Iceland on Nov. 17 with a load of wine bound for Tokyo from Paris. Mr. Terauchi and his crew boarded the Boeing 747 in Iceland for the leg of the trip to Anchorage. The evening sky was clear as the jet, cruising at 525 knots, crossed into Alaska from Canada, northeast of Fort Yukon. As the plane flew at 35,000 feet, Mr. Terauchi said he saw three lights that appeared eight miles in front of his aircraft. The pilot reported the lights were yellow, amber and green, Mr. Steucke said, but not red, which is the international color for aircraft beacons. ''The two smaller ones moved a little bit, changed their angle,'' Mr. Steucke said. ''The smaller ones did not show up on the weather radar onboard. The larger one did.'' ''It appeared to him it might be possible that the lights might be exhaust pipes,'' Mr. Steucke continued. ''They kind of wavered but did not blink. His main concern was trying to determine whether he was overtaking another aircraft.'' Mr. Steucke said the pilot dimmed the lights in the cockpit to make sure he was not seeing a reflection.